Thursday, March 02, 2006

Why I don't follow professional cycling anymore

The Boulder Report has an article about the decision to uphold the ban against Tyler Hamilton for doping.

Tyler was generally considered the "good guy" in cycling, until the Olympics 2 years ago and then the Tour of Spain when he got busted for "doping." His version wasn't drugs, it was using blood transfusions to boost his body's ability to carry more oxygen in the bloodstream—by as much as 20%!. Until 2.5 years ago this was undetectable, but not anymore and Tyler was one of the big fish they caught.

I had pretty much given up following professional cycling by then, anyway, but this was the final nail in the coffin. Until cycling cleans up it's act, I won't follow it. I haven't followed the Tour de France for 3 years now, and I used to be avid.

I will continue to ride because I love cycling. But, I won't follow who is doing what. Of course, there is also the obscene amounts of money that the big names make...

No comments: