Friday, November 07, 2008

Finally

“If we say “I believe in Jesus” but it doesn't effect[sic] the way we live, the answer is not that now we need to add hard work to our faith so much as that we haven't truly understood or believed in Jesus after all.”—Timothy Keller, The Prodigal God, page 126

<idle musing>
That is the last quote from The Prodigal God. I hope you have learned a good bit about grace from the brief quotes I have been giving.

I finished the book back in September, but had been unable to get these sections that I had marked typed up until now. Reviewing them has been good; I re-learned some things that I thought I had already learned, but apparently hadn't.

The grace of God is more vast and deeper than we realize. What we have in Christ is far greater than we can begin to understand. We stand at the edge of the beach, seeing the ocean stretched before us and think we understand it. But we haven't even touched the water, let alone begun to plumb its depths...
</idle musing>

1 comment:

Joel Brueseke said...

Yep, I agree. I've been steadily learning of the grace of God, and all that is encompassed in it, for over a dozen years, and I still feel I'm only skimming the surface. I keep on finding it to be vaster and deeper and wider than I've ever imagined! Thanks again for posting these snippets of the book.